Monday, March 25, 2013

Phil reflects back on CINEQUEST FILM FESTIVAL 23-March 25, 2013


So another Cinequest Film Festival has come and gone. Looking back on it all, I have to say that this was the BEST Cinequest of all time! Now I know that I said something similar to this last year, but this was the best because of all the contributing factors that mad it the best.

1) Every single film that is saw for the past twelve days I enjoyed! I cannot remember another time when every single film I saw I liked. Usually there are some films that are just plain awful (last year there were three films that I hated). Not this year. It was one great screening after another. All 54 films that I saw were amazing!

2) The filmmakers that I meet were just crazy talented as well as just cool people to hang out with and get to know. Whether it was Cora Benesh and David F. Morgan from CITY BABY, Michael Ferrell, Devin Sanchez, and Chris Prine from TWENTY MILLION PEOPLE, Alev Aydin from LONELY BOY, Rob Grant and Teagan Vincze from MON AMI,  Christina Hatziharalabous and Goran Mojsin from LOVELESS ZORITSA, every filmmaker I met was awesome and down to earth! I am very fortunate to call many of these talented people my friends!

3) The audiences for every screening was excited to see some great indie films! An audience can make or brake a film. Everybody knows that. Well I was very happy to meet many new people who really enjoyed coming out to the festival and taking in some great art!

4) The Maverick Meet-Ups were off the hook! At the end of every day, there was a Maverick Meet-Up where filmmakers and the festival goers would meet up at a designated bar, hang out, drink, and talked about all the films they say that day. A lot of people came out to these and a good time was had by all!

5) The vibe of the festival was intoxicating! Everybody was talking about the last film they saw, telling other people about it, then getting all excited. Making new friends, talking about films, the parties, everything was out of sight!

At the end of the festival, I got a little teary-eyed. I made so many new friends that it was hard to say goodbye. So now I would like to say hi to all my friends, old and new, from the festival. I had the best time seeing you all again and I hope to see you at next year's Cinequest. To all the filmmakers I meet, good luck with your respective films and I hope to see them again on either the big screen or on DVD. And to all my friends, filmmakers, and followers who read my blog during the festival, thank you all! Take care everybody, and I'll see you all again soon!

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment